Minutes for CAC Meeting
March 19, 2008
Recording: Brett Bennett
The College Administrative Council (CAC) met in the Dean’s Conference room at 3:35 p.m. Dr. Ryman called the meeting to order.
In attendance: Dr. Denny Ryman, Mr. Brett Bennett, Ms. Juliet Burgess, Dr. Jessica Dolecheck, Ms. Emily Doughty, Ms. Donna Eichhorn, Dr. Judy Fellows, Dr. Florencetta Gibson, Ms. Belinda Morgan, Dr. Paxton Oliver, Ms. Debbie Wisenor
· Dr. Ryman handed out copies of the university transfer policy. He noted that the policy is currently the policy that is in effect for transfer credits.
· Dr. Ryman discussed the several items and gave examples of how they may be applied.
· Chairs asked questions using specific examples of “what if”.
· After some discussion, the CAC determined that clarification of Item C. and Item H was needed for full understanding of the policy.
· Dr. Ryman will get that clarification back to the CAC
· Dr. Oliver stated that a COHS policy would be developed so that each department could be in compliance with the university policy.
Bennett noted that whatever policy was used, the
· It was noted that transcripts are not posted into CICSPLUS timely enough for some departments to make accurate advising decisions.
· Dr. Ryman noted that problem as one to take to the dean’s meetings for further discussion.
2. University Professorships
· Dr. Ryman needs from the departments a listing of University Professorships.
Items to be listed are: Who are the NEW
professorship holders? What are the plans for the money? Who are continuing
Professorships? What did they do with the money?
3. Projected Accreditation Costs
· Dr. Ryman asked for each department to submit a projected accreditation cost budget.
· Things to include are travel associated with accreditation, application costs, annual fees, site visitors’ costs, and anything else that needs to be included. In the projections, use 15% increase in travel estimates, 20% increase in conference projections, and 10% increase in annual fee projections.
4. Shared Governance
· COHS will have three meetings for shared governance focus groups.
· Dr. Ryman encouraged participation by faculty and staff.
· Dr. Oliver described the three documents available on the website, and he discussed the purpose of the focus groups.
· Dr. Oliver discussed the presentation of different shared governance models and the importance of people’s input on each.
· He noted that the website has examples for viewing.
· After the focus groups information is collected, it will then be sent to the Shared Governance committee. The SG committee will make a recommendation to the President.
5. Policy on disruptive clients
· Representative from Dental Hygiene joined the meeting
· Dr. Ryman prefaced the discussion with the statement “It only takes one incident to establish a need for a policy”
· Discussion ensued concerning clients in the ULM COHS clinics, and how children of the clients are supervised in the waiting rooms.
· After discussion, there is a need for a policy that addresses these issues.
· DH is charged with developing a policy for their clinic and their students.
· CODI (Soon to be Speech / language Pathology) will also review the need for a policy in their clinic
· Dr. Ryman stated that he will see if a policy is already in existence that we can use.
· Discussion ensued concerning the role of professionals when child abuse is suspected or witnessed. Members made several statements about personal experiences.
· Dr. Gibson noted that we all as professionals have a requirement to report child abuse or individual licensure could be at risk.
· The dean’s office will be notified if any abuse is suspected in the clinics.
· Dr. Oliver noted that 1-911 should be called to involve the campus police.
· Questions arose on how to make suspected abuse known. Ms. Burgess stated that there is a 24Hour hot-line that can be used, and reports can be made anonymously.
· Those discussions lead to discussion concerning the students who work in the clinic and the possibility of the students name badge having too much information displayed. Dr. Gibson has addressed that in nursing, and she will bring examples of name tags for other departments to view.
· Ms. Wisenor reported that she received clinical records from student health that should not be being released. Also noted was the fact that it appeared to be a HIPAA violation for those records to be sent in such a manner.
· Dr. Ryman asked for Ms. Wisenor to send an email outlining the complaint so he could take it further.
· Mr. Bennett asked about online course development monies. Dr. Ryman asked for an email to be sent regarding the online course development so that further discussion could be had.
· Blackboard will not be available after June 30th.
· CAC meetings will be held every other week.
7. Meeting adjourned at 4:40 p.m.