Minutes for CAC Meeting
March 25, 2009
Presiding: Dr. Paxton Oliver
The College Administrative Council (CAC) met in the Dean’s Conference room. Dr. Oliver called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
In attendance: Dr. Paxton Oliver, Mr.
Not present (excused): Dr Denny Ryman, Dr. Florencetta
1. Dr. Oliver informed the council about the revised format for clinical affiliation agreements that is now required by the FMOL system.
St. Francis Medical Center in Monroe and Our
Lady of the Lake in
· Revised language requires that the “School” be responsible for ensuring that each “Participant” has satisfied the required screens including a drug screening and a background check.
Dr. Oliver gave an overview of the current
· COHS Draft Background Check policy was approved in 2008 and recommends that each department develop a policy and procedure.
· COHS Drug Screening Policy was developed by a college committee in 2008 and approved by the Provost in November, 2008; however, it is primarily a policy for on-campus needs.
3. Dr. Oliver asked the council for suggestions to improve the language of the policies to create a better understanding, but stated that it would be very difficult to make one statement for all departments.
· One common statement that will be included is that each department must meet the requirements of the contractual agreements.
4. Ms. Burgess informed the council of a company, CertifiedBackground.com, that performs background checks and gave Dr. Oliver information to review.
· Ms. Eichhorn stated that OTA has a written policy for background checks and will use the CertifiedBackground.com Company.
· Dr. Oliver stated that he has looked into this company and that the background check performed by the CertifiedBackground.com Company covers all of the FMOL contract requirements for background checks.
5. Mr. Bennett asked for a definition of “information of concern” that is in the language of background check requirements.
· Discussion by the council followed about procedures for record keeping, confidentiality of records, information release, who will inform whom, and the evaluation/decision making process regarding any uncovered “information of concern” from background checks and/or drug screening results for students.
· Ms. Wisenor suggested that the COHS Dean’s office work with the judicial division of student affairs to ensure that we are in compliance with legal requirements.
6. Ms. Burgess informed the council that the state has a contract/policy in place that involves the State’s Medical Review Officer in decisions regarding the drugs that should be included in the screening and the evaluation of drug screening results.
7. After much discussion by the council, the following “short-term” procedure will be in place until comprehensive policies and procedures are developed:
· Students will be informed of requirements for background check and drug screening before attending clinical rotations.
· It is the responsibility of each department to inform students of the requirements.
· It is the student’s obligation to comply with the requirements for the background check and drug screening and pay for the expense of each.
· Results will go to the COHS Dean’s office.
· If “information of concern” is uncovered, the student will not be allowed to go to clinical site.
Dr. Oliver stated that he will find out who the
FMOL system is using to certify employees regarding background checks, and that
he will check with
9. Dr. Oliver informed the council that we will need to electronically meet on a regular basis until appropriate policies and procedures are developed. Electronic input will result in document revisions prior to a called face to face meeting in early April.
10. The meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.