Minutes for CAC Meeting
September 26, 2007
Presiding: Dr. Denny Ryman
Recording: Donna Eichhorn
The College Administrative Council (CAC) met in the Dean’s Conference room from 2:00-4:05 p.m. Dr. Ryman called the meeting to order.
In attendance: Dr. Denny Ryman, Mr. Brett Bennett, Ms. Juliet Burgess, Dr. Jessica Dolecheck, Ms. Emily Doughty, Ms. Donna Eichhorn, Dr. Judy Fellows, Dr. Florencetta Gibson, Ms. Beverly Jarrell, Ms. Belinda Morgan, Dr. Paxton Oliver, Ms. Debbie Wisenor.
– Dr. Jeff Cass, Dean of the College of
Arts and Sciences
Dr. Cass presented the Quality Enhancement Plan
(QEP) and other information regarding
2. Mid-Term COHS Meeting – Dr. D. Ryman
· Dr. Ryman asked the council if they felt there was a need for a mid-term college-wide meeting in order to keep all faculty informed of what is going on in the college.
· Dr. F. Gibson stated that the Nursing Department typically invites the dean to one of their faculty meetings to provide updates on the college.
After general discussion, Dr. Ryman informed
council members that rather than scheduling a mid-term meeting, he would attend
a regular departmental faculty meeting if department heads requested it.
3. Medical Terminology – Dr. D. Ryman
· Dr. Ryman asked the council who teaches AHSC 330 – Medical Terminology and which semesters it is offered. Council members stated that it is rotated through the different department and is taught fall, spring, and summer. Dr. Jan Corder is currently teaching the course.
· Ms. Eichhorn stated that she taught it this past summer and only had a few students enrolled. She also expressed concern that the course contained a large amount of information and was difficult for students to do during the summer, although it was spread out across both summer sessions.
· Department requiring the course are: Pharmacy, RADT, and Health Studies
· Mr. Bennett expressed his opinion that all health sciences students should be required to take the course.
· Several department heads stated that terminology for their disciplines is taught throughout their professional courses, rather than having it required in one course.
· Ms. Morgan stated that Dr. Corder recommended the course be taught by the same department/faculty member each semester rather than rotating.
· Dr. Ryman recommended that Medical Terminology become a part of the Health Studies Department and be taught by their faculty.
· Mr. Bennett volunteered RADT to teach the course in the spring 2008. Health Studies will teach it in the fall 2008 and it will then remain in that department.
4. Dean’s Student Advisory Committee – Dr. D. Ryman
· Dr. Ryman informed council members to turn in names of two students from each department to be on the “Dean’s Student Advisory Committee”. He needs the names by Thursday, 10/3/07. CODI is to submit one undergraduate student and one graduate student.
· Dr. Ryman stated that the committee will have a budget and will decide what the money will be used for.
· Dr. Ryman’s suggestions for the committee will include starting an Internet journal for health sciences students.
· Ms. Wisenor asked if the meetings would be held in the evenings to accommodate students’ class schedules. Dr. Ryman confirmed that this would be the best idea – probably after 5 p.m. He also stated that the committee would meet about twice per semester.
5. COHS Advisory Committee – Dr. D. Ryman
Dr. Ryman described that he is in the process of
setting up a
· The COHS Advisory Committee should be assembled by November and will begin looking at goals and objectives for the college.
6. Clinical Track Designation – Dr. D. Ryman
Dr. Ryman discussed the possible designation in
some departments of “Clinical Faculty” designations. Several institutions in
· Faculty with this designation would not follow the criteria on research or publication like typical faculty members would.
· Dr. Ryman would like council members to consider whether this designation would be appropriate for their individual departments. He suggested Nursing would benefit from the designation, as well as other departments.
Any recommendations for “Clinical Faculty”
designations would need approval by Dr. Richters and the
· Dr. Ryman would like the designation status to be in place by fall 2008.
7. College Tasks – Dr. D. Ryman
· Dr. Ryman reported that each department and each college will be evaluated by the university. The college and departments will need to justify what they currently have and what is needed additionally.
· The evaluation system for departments is being looked at very closely, as are the expectations for the departments.
· Criteria for evaluation will differ by department, with department heads needing to develop criteria for their departments
· Dr. Ryman stated that there will be additional meetings regarding this topic.
Dr. Ryman stated that there will be a Majors
Fair on 10/25/07. It will be held for
· Dr. Ryman emphasized to department heads to monitor their budgets, particularly in the areas of copying and long distance phone calls. Some departments have excessive amounts of spending in these areas and faculty members need to be mindful of these expenses. Dr. Ryman will have Sandra Barton print out monthly reports of copying and phone call expenses so that department heads can monitor them. Ms. Burgess asked if faculty members should begin keeping a log of long distance phone calls. Dr. Ryman replied that this was not necessary at this point.
· Ms. Jarrell inquired about the status of the lab fees that are to be placed into budgets. Dr. Ryman stated that they are being processed and should be in the budgets soon. He will have Sandra monitor this and let department heads know when it has been done.
· Dr. Ryman commented that the administration is considering decreasing the percentage of professional fees that the departments get. Additional fees for professional students are also being considered.
Dr. Ryman informed the council that he attended
a meeting in
· Dr. Ryman stated that there are master’s proposals and grant proposals for the college that are currently being submitted.
· Dr. Ryman announced that Melanie Chapman will be the new Interim Department Head of CLS to replace Ms. D. Wisenor after this semester.
D. Eichhorn announced that
Dr. F. Gibson announced that Nursing has hired a
Mr. B. Bennett stated that he had received
information from a visit to the
9. Meeting adjourned at 4:05 p.m.