Minutes for CAC Meeting
October 10, 2007
Recording: Brett Bennett
The College Administrative Council (CAC) met in the Dean’s Conference room from 2:00-3:25 p.m. Dr. Ryman called the meeting to order.
In attendance: Dr. Denny Ryman, Mr. Brett Bennett, Ms. Juliet Burgess, Dr. Jessica Dolecheck, Ms. Emily Doughty, Ms. Donna Eichhorn, Dr. Judy Fellows, Dr. Florencetta Gibson, Ms. Beverly Jarrell, Ms. Belinda Morgan, Dr. Paxton Oliver, Ms. Melanie Chapman
· Dr. Ryman opened discussion on department QEPs. Some departments had written ideas that ranged from department specific ideas to university and college ideas.
· Dr. Oliver stated that QEP concepts and ideas are needed by the ULM SACS committee. He stated that the SACS committee will make recommendations to the president for a decision.
· Dr. Ryman instructed the departments to send suggestions through the link on the webpage, but to send the title of the idea to the dean’s office as well.
2. Accent on Excellence
Dental Hygiene and CODI will be honored at the
Monroe Chamber of Commerce’s Accent of Excellence breakfast on November 13,
2007. The dean will reserve a table for event, and he would like the
departments to get together and reserve a second table. The chairperson and one
other member each from Dental Hygiene and CODI, along with the Dean and
Associate Dean will be at the Deans table.
3. Chain of Command – Dr. D. Ryman
· Dr. Ryman reiterated that students and faculty must use the chain of command for communication and issues.
4. Major’s Fair – Dr. D. Ryman
· The dates posted with the original email are October 24th and 25th with Health Sciences participating on the 25th. The time is 1:30 to 4:30.
· Each Department needs to set up a table and have personnel on hand to answer questions from students. The Dean recommends having more than one person.
· Mr. Bennett informed the committee of information that was given to the FRYS instructors saying that the dates are now 23rd and 24th of October, and that Health Sciences participates on the 24th.
Dr. Oliver to follow up and clarify the dates.
(Done/the 24th is for COHS/call
5. Staffing Spreadsheets – Dr. D. Ryman
· Spreadsheets of the number of students in each class taught by faculty in each department were given to the respective department heads.
· Dr. Ryman stated that these would be used to determine the FTE’s and department staffing.
· This will be sent in electronic format to each department. (Done/Oliver)
6. Copying – Dr. D. Ryman
· The September copying cost was $1800. Dr. Ryman stated that copying should be kept to a minimum. Some faculty are copying books and manuals for their students. Dr. Ryman suggests that these materials could be sent to the bookstore for packaging and the students could purchase them there.
· Departments get a monthly cost of how much copying their department has used.
· Dr. Dolecheck recommended that departments get weekly updates.
· Dr. Ryman asked that departments discuss copying in departments meetings.
· The nursing learning resource center has no controls in place to regulate student copying. Ms. Burgess noted that a lot of paper is wasted by students who copy and then don’t use what they copied.
· Dr. Ryman noted that a 100-page per semester limit was supposed to be set for students to copy on campus. When this will go into effect is not known
· Lab fees and Professional fees are available.
· Discussion of professional fees and their availability ensued.
· Dean Ryman will clarify whether professional fees are available to the department or not.
· Lab fees – will be posted in about two weeks.
· Dr. Ryman stated that during the week of the 22nd to 26th, he, Dr. Oliver, Dr. Fellows, and Dr. Richters will walk through Sugar hall with the intent of determining when CODI can move into Sugar hall.
· Dr. Ryman will ask for a time-line to assist CODI in planning for the move.
· Dr. Ryman instructed Health Studies to begin seeking Adjunct Faculty to develop and deliver online courses. He wants the courses ready for Fall 2008.
· The adjunct faculty will receive $7000 to develop and deliver the course ($3500 for development and $3500 for delivering).
· Dr. Ryman said that a Grants Coordinator position is awaiting approval.
8. Christmas Party – Dr. Ryman
· Plans were discussed for the College Christmas party.
It will be at the
The menu will be Gumbo and Fried
· Faculty will bring desserts or another dish to go with the dinner.
9. Meeting adjourned at 3:25 p.m.