May 23, 2011
Present: Dr. Ryman, Mr. Brett Bennett, Dr. Juliet Burgess, Dr. Belinda Morgan, Dr. Johanna Boult, Dr. Emily Doughty, Dr. Carolyn Murphy, Ms. Beverly Jarrell, Ms. Debbie Wisenor, Ms. Terri Hendrix. Excused: Dr. Judy Fellows
Budget cuts appear to be approaching the unknown. There will be no increase in tuition, no personal or corporate taxes. There will be more cutbacks from the Governor and the Legislature.
Deans have been asked to get recommendations from their committees. By giving their recommendations for cuts in the future, where funds could be saved and cuts could be made. Dental Hygiene and Speech-Language Pathology are growing and other areas of the college could grow as well. Medical Laboratory Science’s infrastructure is going on-line.
No specific programs have been cut in the College of Health
Sciences. Chemistry has been cut, only
specific courses are available. Genetics
has been moved to the
Several hypothetical perceptions were given:
1. Administrators could be cut. There are presently 5 VP’s at the highest level with support staff and cost for those positions should be investigated.
2. Perception to look at multiple programs. Most programs were shifted or redesigned without cuts. There were no cuts with no cost savings. Re-examine the programs to teach the general core. We are being forced to reorganize and streamline with some degree programs being cut.
3. We need direction on who we are and where we are going.
4. Examine the productivity of individual departments.
is still poorly done at
Admissions is not working. The community
college has taken a large portion of our students and the revenue that they
generated for us. Even if it took a student
who was paying his own way and coming part-time, which took longer to
graduate—still the money was coming to
7. Most students coming from community colleges do not do well in sciences.
8. Consolidate the university systems to just the LSU system and one other that covers every other higher education institution. This merge would focus on strengths to grow.
of concern: (1). What do you want
(2). Where is the direction of the university?
(3). How long can we do it?
12. Concern that clinical sites are being cut and there will be nowhere for students to
complete their field work. Businesses need to look at the long-term effect and support
the university and potential students who will be their employees.