College of Health Sciences
MINUTES FOR CAC MEETING
September 27, 2006
The College Administrative Council (CAC) met in the Nursing Conference room from 3:00-4:30. Dr. Corder called the meeting to order.
In Attendance: Dr. Jan Corder, Emmy Doughty, Dr. Judy Fellows, Dr. Florencetta Gibson, Jay Hicks, Beverly Jarrell, Peggy Meredith, Belinda Morgan, Dr. Paxton Oliver, and Debbie Wisenor.
Absent: Dr. Jessica Dolecheck - excused
Juliet Burgess - excused
Marge Michel - excused
1. Reordering of agenda to move item # 3-c Policy & Procedures towards the end of the meeting was approved by the committee.
2. Dr. Corder thanked all who helped with the retiree's luncheon that was held on September 25, 2006 and she also thanked everyone for getting back with her so quickly on the course plans.
3. Approval of Minutes.
Dr. Corder asked for a motion to approve the minutes from September 13, 2006. The motion to approve with corrections was given by Emmy Doughty and seconded Dr. Gibson. Minutes were posted on-line September 29, 2006.
- Debbie Wisenor stated that students were interviewing for clinical placement and should find
out Monday, October 3, 2006.
- Dr. Fellows stated that the fall junior class was being advised for spring.
- They are working on the AMA report.
- They are planning to take 44 students to the CABLE conference in West Monroe.
- Spring applications for graduate school are coming in for review.
- Beverly Jarrell is getting ready for accreditation and spring continuing education series.
- The Provost will present the proposal on September 28, 2006 to the Board of Regents meeting in Ruston. Both Dr. Corder and Dr. Dolecheck will attend the meeting.
- Dr. Gibson stated that they visited 3 other Nursing schools (Nichols in Thibodaux, ULL in Lafayette, and Southeastern in Hammond) to review how models of Nursing programs on other campuses were organized.
- They plan to visit 2 more schools and a report will be given to Dr. Richters.
- The Student Occupational Therapy Association's Homecoming banner placed in 6th.
- Jay Hicks stated that they are working on revising the curriculum.
- Jay Hicks was selected for a National Curriculum Revision Committee.
4. Old Business.
a. Drug Policy.
Has been approved by Dr. Corder, Dr. Oliver, and Dr. Richters and is pending the President's Cabinet approval.
Dean's and department heads will have access to the FAD to use for report writing.
c. Policies and Procedures. See statements below.
d. Matrix and Goals.
Dr. Corder asked department heads to encourage their faculty to finish their goals.
e. Homecoming Committee report.
Dr. Oliver reported on all activities and homecoming events on Saturday, September 30 from 12:00 to 5:00 pm in the Grove. Departments need to encourage students to attend.
f. Account Numbers.
All account numbers need to be emailed to Dr. Corder.
5. New Business.
a. Recruiting Opportunities.
i Browse on the Bayou - November 11, 2006
ii. College Fair - October 30-November 1, 2006
iii. Evening with ULM - October 12, 2006 in Alexandria
November 14, 2006 in Shreveport
Dr. Oliver will represent the COHS on both nights and Vicki Creighton will represent the COHS in Ruston on November 9, 2006 at the Lincoln Parish Career Fair that will be held at Louisiana Tech University.
The COHS is currently searching for the following positions to be filled.
Administrative Assistant 2 position in December 2006.
c. Prepare a tentative schedule by next CAC meeting for classes for Summer I & II and Fall 07. All department heads have submitted schedules to Dr.Corder.
d. AHSC 330 - Medical Terminology Rotation for teaching.
Spring 2006 - Dr. George Roberts
Fall 2006 - Andy Allen
Spring 2007 - RADT
Summer I 2007 - CODI
Summer II 2007 - OTA
Fall 2007 - NURS
This course is on-line with mid-term and final tests on campus. Volunteers are needed to help Andy Allen proctor the mid-term and final tests in AHSC 330.
e. Be prepared to discuss on-line courses at next meeting.
Curriculum issues will be discussed about the size of classes, when to offer them, the best time to schedule, format, etc. .
6. Reschedule of October 11, 2006 meeting.
Dr. Corder and Dr. Oliver will be in the Team-Building workshop, so the next meeting will be Monday, October 16, 2006 at 8:00 am in the Nursing conference room. The only topic will be curriculum issues related to science requirements across the various programs in the college.
3. c. Policies and Procedures
Dr. Oliver discussed the three Phases for the COHS Policies and Procedures
i. Phase I - This document was submitted to the Provost.
Dr. Oliver thanked all for their input.
ii. Phase II - During future CAC meetings Policies and Procedures will be discussed and modified if necessary.
iii. Phase III - Yearly reviews will be conducted and appropriate changes will be made.
Spring Book orders due by October 2, 2006. Please submit an electronic copy to Dr. Corder as they are sent to the Bookstore.
Minutes submitted by Judy Kalinich with approval from Dr. Corder.