The French Program
The Department offers a degree in Modern Languages with a major option in French through the College of Arts and Sciences. It also offers a degree in French for secondary education majors through the
College of Education and Human Development.
The Modern Language degree requires thirty (30) hours of French above the elementary (1001 and 1002) level and twelve (12) hours of Spanish (1001, 1002, 2005).
Students in the College of Education and Human Development must complete forty-two (42) hours including 1001-1002, 2005, and phonetics, grammar and composition, six hours of culture and civilization, 4074 and 4075 in the thirty six hours above 1002.
Students may also choose to complete a concentration in Global Studies.
Many students are also choosing a minor in French, Latin, or Spanish. Except for students who wish to certify to teach, the minor consists of eighteen hours of the language at any level. Students who wish to certify to teach French or Spanish must complete twenty one (21) hours. Those who wish to teach Latin must complete twenty-four (24) hours of Latin and twelve hours of related courses in mythology, history, theater, and/or English.
The courses available to students of French above the intermediate (2005) level include:
- 1003 Study Abroad
- 2010 Commercial French
- 2031 Grammar and Composition
- 3002 Survey of French Literature
- 3012 Phonetics
- 3015 Foreign Language Practicum
- 3024 Conversation and Composition
- 3025 French Culture and Civilization
- 4003 Literature of the Francophone World
- 4004 Seminar in French Literature
- 4015 Advanced Language Development
- 4074 Second Language Acquisition (crosslisted with Span. 474)
- 4075 Language, Culture, and Classroom (crosslisted with Span. 475)
- 5001 Problems in Phonology and Morphology
- 5002 Problems in Grammar and Syntax
For more information and consultation contact Dr. Ruth Smith @
(318) 342-3433 (fax)
E-mail Dr. Smith
Department of Foreign Languages
The University of Louisiana at Monroe
325 Brown Hall
Monroe, Louisiana 71209-0350