ULM College of Pharmacy
Competency Statements/Educational Outcomes
Provide Comprehensive Patient Specific Pharmaceutical Care.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of a given prescription or medication order based on
patient and disease-specific factors.
- Evaluate each patient for self-treatment or referral.
- Develop and implement an evidence-based care plan. (pharmacology, medicinal chemistry,
physiology, pathology, etc.)
- Compound and/or dispense the most optimal formulation for drug delivery consistent
with the patient needs and in harmony with the law.
- Document all activities involved with the provision of comprehensive patient specific
- Counsel and educate patients regarding medication use, disease-state management, and
- Develop population-based patient education programs.
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals using appropriate effective communication
in both written and oral forms.
- Read, write, speak, listen, and use data, media, and computers to send and respond
effectively to communications for varied audiences and purposes.
Appropriately Manage and Use Resources of the Health Care System.
- Plan, organize, direct and control pharmaceutical care systems and human, material,
and financial resources utilizing management theories and practices.
- Apply patient and population specific data, quality assurance strategies, and research
- Ensure efficient, cost-effective utilization of human, physical, medical, informational,
and technological resources in patient care.
Identify, Interpret, and Evaluate Literature Needed for the Provision of Drug Information
and Pharmaceutical Care.
- Define the question that needs to be answered.
- Distinguish among lay, professional, and scientific literature.
- Identify appropriate literature search engines for lay, professional and scientific
- Explain the method of construct an appropriate search strategy for various literature
- Evaluate literature source validity.
- Explain methods for systematically evaluating literature.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of research methodologies and statistical methods.
- Draw appropriate conclusions from research results.
- Assess the potential impact and implication of published information on current practices.
Promote Health Improvement and Self-Care.
- Promote/participate in effective health and disease prevention services as part of
patient or population specific care.
- Collaborate with policy makers, health care providers, members of the community and
administrative and support personnel to identify and resolve health problems and evaluate
- Identify, retrieve, understand, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information needed
to make informed, rational, and ethical decisions.
- Solve complex problems that require an integration of one's ideas and values within
a context of scientific, social, cultural, legal, clinical, and ethical issues.
- Display habits, attitudes, and values associated with mature critical thinking
Demonstrate Appropriate Interpersonal, Professional, and Ethical Behaviors.
- Maintain professional competence.
- Represent the profession in an ethical manner.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve ethical problems involved in pharmacy practice.
- Provide service to the profession and the community.
- Collaborate proactively with other health care professionals.
- Practice in a manner that is consistent with state and federal laws and regulations.
- Accept the responsibilities embodied in the principles of pharmaceutical care.
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal, intergroup, and cross-cultural behaviors that
promote respect and trust from peers, patients, and community members.