The University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM) is committed to promoting and maintaining a healthy environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. The University is committed to ensuring our campus is tobacco-free to promote healthy living.
This policy applies to all University students, faculty, staff, contractors, and visitors (the general public). The policy applies to all buildings and property that are owned, leased, or rented by the University of Louisiana at Monroe.
For the purposes of this policy, “tobacco use” includes but is not limited to, personal use of any tobacco product, whether intended to be lit or not, which shall include smoking, as well as the use of an electronic cigarette or any other device intended to simulate smoking and the use of smokeless tobacco, including snuff; chewing tobacco; smokeless pouches; any other form of loose-leaf, smokeless tobacco; and the use of unlit cigarettes, cigars, and pipe tobacco.
This policy does not apply to scientific research conducted by the University. In some cases, researchers may use tobacco plants and / or tobacco products to conduct scientific research projects.
1. Tobacco use is not allowed on any property or in any building that is owned, leased, or rented by the University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM).
2. Students, faculty, staff, contractors, and visitors must extinguish and properly dispose of tobacco products prior to entering University property or exiting their vehicle. While individuals may consume tobacco products in their own personal motor vehicle on University property, this tobacco use must not cause a negative impact on others or result in a complaint by others. Improper disposal includes but it is not limited to:
a. Littering (e.g., discarded cigarette butts, throwing cigarette butts out of windows.)
b. Anything that creates a hazard (e.g. discarded lit butts, emptying spittoon contents on walkways or grounds, etc.)
3. The use of tobacco products is prohibited in all University vehicles. This prohibition applies to all licensed and unlicensed vehicles owned, leased, and rented by the University.
4. The sale, distribution, or advertisement of tobacco products is prohibited in University buildings and on University property.
5. Vice presidents, deans, directors, and department heads are responsible for ensuring that faculty, staff, students, visitors, and contractors are made aware of this policy, and that they comply with its requirements. Existing disciplinary policies may be used as appropriate.
1. The University shall develop a plan for communicating this policy with students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
2. This policy shall be included in the student, faculty, and staff handbooks, new employee and student orientation programs, in admissions application materials and other campus documents where appropriate.
3. The University shall provide a comprehensive marketing and signage effort to ensure that all University visitors, vendors, guests, and other people arriving on University property are aware of the tobacco–free policy.
4. Violators of this policy shall be issued a verbal reminder of the policy and a referral to cessation resources. Additionally, existing disciplinary policies may be used as appropriate.
5. This policy specifically applies to all student residential facilities. The ULM Residential Life department shall be responsible for ensuring this policy is adhered to by all residents. Violations of this policy in residential facilities shall be addressed in accordance with Residential Life policies and procedures.