CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
OF TEACHERS OF MATHEMATICS
ARTICLE I: NAME AND AFFILIATION
Section 1. The name of this organization shall be the Northeast Louisiana Association of Teachers of Mathematics (NELATM).
Section 2. This Association shall be an affiliate of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM).
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
Section 1. The purpose shall be to promote excellence and
professional growth in the teaching and learning of mathematics in northeast
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. There shall be two types of membership in this Association: namely, active and student.
Section 2. Active membership shall consist of all persons having an expressed interest in the purpose of the organization and who have paid the annual membership dues or lifetime dues of this Association.
Section 3. Student memberships shall be defined as those members who are enrolled as full-time graduate or undergraduate students of higher learning and who have paid the annual student dues of this Association. Student members shall enjoy all the privileges of this Association except those of holding office and chairing committees.
ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS
Section 1. The elected officers of this Association shall be a president-elect, a vice-president for Higher Education, a vice-president for High Schools, a vice-president for Pre-K thru 8, a National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) representative of the Northeast Louisiana Association of Teachers of Mathematics, a secretary, and a treasurer-elect.
Section 2. A membership/community relations chairman, a parliamentarian, a newsletter editor, and a NELATM webpage editor will be appointed by the executive council. These positions will all have two-year terms.
Section 3. The president-elect shall serve one year as president-elect, one year as president and one year as past-president. The treasurer-elect shall serve one year as treasurer-elect and one year as treasurer. All other officers shall serve for a two-year term which begins at the conclusion of the first executive council meeting following the election.
Section 4. The treasurer-elect may not serve two consecutive terms as treasurer-elect. This is to assure that no one person can serve as treasurer-elect and treasurer simultaneously.
Section 5. The executive council shall constitute the governing body of this Association. Membership on the council shall be as follows: the officers provided for in Sections 1-3.
Section 6. Any executive officer who is absent from two or more NELATM executive meetings per year may be removed from office by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the executive council.
Section 7. Any executive officer who does not execute the duties of the office may be removed from such office by the executive council by a majority vote.
ARTICLE V: ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Section 1. The officers of this Association shall be elected annually by a majority of those bona fide members, present and voting by secret ballot, at the spring meeting of the Association.
Section 2. Nominations for all offices shall be made from the floor or submitted by the nominating committee to the president at the meeting preceding the election meeting.
Section 3. The executive council shall have the power to fill any vacancies within its membership occurring after the annual spring election of this Association. In the event of a vacancy in the office of president, the president-elect or past-president shall assume the presidentís duties and responsibilities but shall retain his or her current office.
Section 4. Elected every year will be the president-elect and treasurer-elect. Elected on the odd numbered years are these officers: secretary, vice-president of Higher Education, and vice-president of Pre-K thru 8. Elected on the even numbered years are the vice-president of High Schools and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) representative of the Northeast Louisiana Association of Teachers of Mathematics.
ARTICLE VI: MEETINGS
Section 1. There shall be at least four (4) meetings of this Association per academic year. The times and places will be determined by the executive council.
ARTICLE VII: AMENDMENTS
Section 1. This constitution may be amended by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of those bona fide members present and voting at a meeting of this Association. Such amendment(s) will become effective immediately following the close of said meeting.
Section 2. The procedure for presentation of proposed amendment(s) shall be as follows:
(a) The proposed amendment(s) in writing and bearing the name(s) of the author(s) and rationale for change shall be submitted to the executive council;
(b) The proposed amendment(s) shall be published in the NELATM newsletter or be emailed to each member at least 30 days prior to the announced meeting of this Association.
ARTICLE VIII: DISSOLUTION
Section 1. If, at any time, the Northeast Louisiana Association of Teachers of Mathematics shall cease to carry out the purpose as stated in Article II, Section 1, all assets and properties held by the Corporate Organization, whether in trust or otherwise, shall, after payment of its liabilities, be paid over to an organization selected by the executive council, which has similar purposes and has established its tax exempt status under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 as now enacted or as it may hereafter by amended and as such assets and property shall be applied exclusively for such charitable, scientific and educational programs.
ARTICLE I: DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
Section 1. The duties of the president are:
1. To preside at all executive council and general membership meetings;
2. To appoint all necessary committees in addition to those provided for in this constitution;
3. To see that all accepted policies of the organization are carried out;
4. To serve as an ex-officio member of all committees;
5. To be a current member of NCTM;
6. To file an annual report of NELATM affiliate activities and update officer information with NCTM;
7. To attend and serve as the alternate to the delegate caucus and the delegate assembly at the NCTM annual meeting.
Section 2. The duties of the president-elect and the past-president are:
1. To serve on committees as assigned by the president;
2. In the absence of the president, to serve in that place as asked by the president;
3. To serve on the Nominating Committee;
4. To serve as an ex-officio member of the Mini-Conference Planning Committee;
5. To serve as co-chair of the Internal Audit Committee;
6. To be a current member of NCTM.
Section 3. The duties of the vice-presidents are:
1. To help the president plan meetings to meet the needs of all members;
2. To act as liaisons between members and the executive board;
3. To assist the membership chairman with regards to their representative groups;
4. To serve on at least one additional committee as needed by the president.
Section 4. The duties of the secretary are:
1. To keep all records and minutes of all general and executive council meetings;
2. To have these records and minutes collected and available for reference at all meetings;
3. To attend to such correspondence as the president and/or executive council deem necessary;
4. To send minutes of executive council and general membership meetings to each executive council member within 45 days of that meeting.
Section 5. The duties of the treasurer are:
1. To maintain all banking, budgetary, and financial records of this Association;
2. To provide a report of all receipts and disbursements at executive council and general membership meetings;
3. To advise and assist in the preparation of a budget of revenues and expenditures for each fiscal year, which begins on January 1 and ends on December 31 of the same calendar year, for consideration at the fall executive council meeting;
4. To assist the membership chairperson;
5. To file 990 EZ form and any other required federal, state, or IRS financial forms including updating records with the Louisiana Secretary of State;
6. To serve as chair of the Conference Audit Committee;
7. To obtain current guidelines for state travel reimbursement to use in updating NELATM Travel Reimbursement policy and forms;
8. To make reimbursements based upon original receipts, with the exception of mileage;
9. To receive and deposit all money on behalf of NELATM;
10. To report results of external audit to executive council;
11. To pay annual NCTM affiliate dues.
Section 6. The duties of the treasurer-elect are:
1. To assist the treasurer;
2. To verify all reports to be presented by the treasurer;
3. To assist the membership chairperson.
Section 7. The duties of the NCTM representative are:
1. To promote membership to and the activities of and membership in the NCTM and LATM;
2. To ensure that NCTM and LATM educational materials and products are available to members at meetings of NELATM;
3. To assist the membership chairman;
4. To serve as a liaison between NELATM and NCTM by soliciting NCTM proposals from the executive council; inform the executive council of proposed NCTM resolutions and solicit feedback; attend the Delegate Caucus, the session for NCTM representatives, and Delegate Assembly at the NCTM Annual Meeting; report to the Delegate Caucus one successful activity of NELATM; and report to the executive council regarding the activities of the Delegate Assembly;
5. To report to NCTM †and LATM regarding NELATM mini-conference and executive council meeting dates;
6. If designated by the president, to act as the contact person for NELATM;
7. Represent NELATM on the LATM Executive Council;
8. To be a current member of LATM;
9. To be a current member of NCTM.
Section 8. The duties of the parliamentarian are:
1. To make rulings on any items in question in accordance with Robertís Rules of Order;
2. To submit copies of all approved constitutional and/or Bylaws amendments to the appropriate agencies;
3. To maintain the archives of this Association.
Section 9. The executive council shall meet at times and places upon notice from the president or the majority of the members of the executive council as determined by a phone or written poll of said members. A majority of voting members must be present in order to conduct business. The duties of the executive council are:
1. To act as the governing council of this Association;
2. To fill any vacancy occurring in an office as specified in Article IV of the Constitution;
3. To approve the budget and to supervise all expenditures of this Association;
4. To have the power to decide on all council matters not clearly stated in the Constitution and Bylaws of this Association, nor in the Constitution and Bylaws of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics;
5. To attend executive council meetings as per Article IV Section 6 of the NELATM Constitution;
6. To submit names of people to be considered to serve as officers of the executive council to the nominating committee;
7. To serve on committees as needed by the president;
8. To submit articles to the newsletter as needed by the newsletter editor;
9. To submit names of speakers for consideration by the conference program committee;
10. To actively participate in the planning of the annual NELATM Mini-Conference;
11. To maintain a current email account and respond in a timely manner to board correspondence.
Section 10. The duties of the newsletter editor are:
1. To publish and disseminate at least two newsletters/bulletins a year;
2. To publish and disseminate necessary notices as directed by the president or the executive council;
3. To publish and disseminate proposed amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws of this Association;
4. To gather and request information for the newsletter.
Section 11. The duties of the membership and community relations chairman are:
1. To maintain current membership information of this Association;
2. To provide membership verification to the members of this Association;
3. To assist the members of the executive council and other committees of this Association in dissemination of information to the general membership;
4. To exchange membership lists with NCTM;
5. To update membership as forwarded by the treasurer;
6. To maintain accurate database of membership information and provide said database to the newsletter editor;
7. To report to the general membership and executive council those legislative/governmental proposals and actions related to the purposes of this Association;
8. To provide NELATM/LATM/NCTM position papers and publications to policy makers on state and local levels as directed by the executive council.
Section 12. The duties of the web-page editor are:
1. To maintain a current, dynamic, and accurate NELATM web-page;
2. To provide the executive council with regular updates regarding revisions and improvements to the web.
ARTICLE II: DUES
Section 1. The membership year of this Association shall commence September 1 and terminate August 31.
Section 2. The annual dues for active membership in this Association shall be five dollars ($5.00) per membership year, payable to NELATM.
Section 3. The annual dues for student membership in this Association shall be three dollars ($3.00) per membership per year, payable to NELATM.
Section 4. Verification of membership bearing the period for which membership is effective shall be issued to each member by the membership chairman.
Section 5. Dues shall be payable annually during the months of September and October. Members who are delinquent will be removed from the roll if dues have not been paid by October 31.
Section 6. A lifetime membership may be purchased for $75.
ARTICLE III: COMMITTEE
Section 1. The president and/or executive council shall appoint a mini-conference chair for the proposed conference. The chair shall select appropriate conference committee members.
Section 2. A nominating committee of at least three (3), which will include the president-elect and past-president, shall be selected annually by the executive council.
ARTICLE IV: AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
Section 1. The Bylaws may be amended by two-thirds (2/3) majority of the bona fide members present and voting at a meeting of this Association. Such amendments will become effective immediately following the close of said meeting.
ARTICLE V: PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
Section 1. Robert's Rules of Order shall govern on any point not otherwise covered in the Constitution and the Bylaws of this Association.