of Health Sciences
MINUTES FOR CAC MEETING
October 11, 2011
College Administrative Council (CAC) met in the Nursing Conference room from 3:00-3:45.
Presiding: Dr. Denny Ryman
Recording: Ms. Jennifer Whited (on behalf of Dr. Johanna Boult)
Absent: Mr. Brett Bennett
1. WM High School Advanced Placement Students
· Will be on campus on Thursday, Oct 20th from approx. 10:00-11:45 (maybe as early as 9:45).
· Groups of 10-12 students will be touring clinics, labs, etc. in each department.
2. Retention Event
· This event will be scheduled for the spring semester. When the date is determined, each department will be asked for one or two outstanding and personable students to talk with their peers.
· The schedule of classes will be available on October 20th.
· The advising period is from October 24-November 9.
· All book orders should be submitted this week. The bookstore has new employees to expedite the process.
4. Sharing LA Grad Act information
· All faculty members should make announcements in class as well as post information on Moodle regarding COHS and university events. This an initiative related to the LA Grad Act.
5. Health EXPO
· Will be held October 15 from 9-4 at the Monroe Civic Center.
· Dental Hygiene and Speech–Language Pathology Clinics will be represented.
· Sarah Hayes is taking a group of students from SPLP to distribute information and talk about prevention.
· Beverly Jarrell is taking a group of students to distribute information about the Dental Hygiene Clinic.
· Each department should submit anything news worthy, such as new degrees awarded to faculty, conference presentations, activities, etc. to Dr. Ryman and Dr. Fellows. It is anticipated that the newsletter will be printed early in spring semester.
· College of Arts and Sciences and College of business will be providing the meat (hamburgers, chicken, sausage).
· Each department in the COHS is responsible for providing a large side dish.
8. Departmental Updates
a. Occupational Therapy
· Dr. Calk and Dr. Murphy will be presenting a short course on “Creating Evidence-Based Practitioners” at their national conference in April.
· The OTA to MOT Bridge program is now represented on their website. This has resulted in numerous inquiries from across the nation.
b. Dental Hygiene
· Alpha Eta applications will soon be available to faculty and students.
· Services on the Mobile Dental Hygiene Unit are being provided in Bastrop this year. This has resulted in referral of patients to the ULM Dental Hygiene Clinic.
c. Medical Laboratory Science
· The Bridge Program is on target to begin in fall 2012. The department is in the process of developing classes.
d. Health Sciences
· Faculty members have presented papers at conferences recently.
· The department has submitted paper work to the COHS Curriculum Committee and subsequently to the UCC for the Health Professions Education concentration in the Education Doctorate program in the CEHD. Following approval, courses will be developed.
· The department is expecting more than 140 students for advising.
· Disaster Preparedness programs are ongoing.
f. Speech-Language Pathology
· Preparing for the ASHA site visit in spring 2012.
· Planning Spring Conference.
· Dr. Bryan and Dr. Boult and several students are presenting research at poster sessions at the ASHA national conference in November.