The Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership is 100% online and offered collaboratively by nine universities within the University of Louisiana System, with nine distinctive concentrations. The UL System institutions will begin accepting applications Feb. 18, 2013.
This degree program is designed for adults who stopped attending college. According to the 2009 American Community Survey, there are over 600,000 adults in Louisiana with some college credit and no degree. Each class will be offered in an accelerated format (eight weeks), as opposed to the normal 15 weeks. This pioneering program is a way to reach out to that market and entice former students to finish their degrees, while capitalizing on the unique strengths of nine public universities.
The degree will consist of 30 hours of courses offered jointly by faculty at the nine universities and 30 hours of concentration and elective courses offered by each institution. The online platform will be seamless, and the cost will be uniform across concentrations and universities.
To enter the program, students must be at least 25 years old and have completed 60 hours of college credit, including general education courses. However, students with less than 60 hours will have opportunities to earn credit online or through prior learning assessment that gauges skills learned on the job.
Offered in five, eight-week terms each year, and charging a flat per credit hour rate of $325, the program can be completed in two years, which is well below the cost of comparable degree programs offered nationwide.
Students who enroll in the organizational leadership degree can choose from nine distinctive concentrations that enhance their career goals:
- Cultural and Arts Institutions at the University of New Orleans
- Disaster Relief Management at Southeastern Louisiana University
- Financial Services at the University of Louisiana at Monroe
- Foodservice Strategies and Operations at Nicholls State University
- Health and Wellness at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- Human Relations at Grambling State University
- Project Team Leadership at Louisiana Tech University
- Public Safety Administration at Northwestern State University
- Strategic Global Communication at McNeese State University
Applications will open February 18, 2013, people interested in this program should begin researching their options including tracking down transcripts.