August 18, 2011
From: Laura J. Woodard, Director of Media Relations
SGA President Dugas addresses Natatorium committment with ULM students
Editor's Note: SGA President Brooke Dugas emailed this statement to ULM students Thursday, Aug. 18
In an attempt to best serve the needs of the University of Louisiana at Monroe student body, ULM student leadership has approved a new student commitment for the Lake C. Oxford Natatorium effective for Fall 2011 semester.
This commitment will keep the natatorium open throughout this time period.
During the semester the Student Government Association will work closely with all students as they explore all possibilities and develop a final plan for the facility.
Below is the approved student commitment:
- Students will continue to develop options to ascertain student preferences as it relates to their recreational needs.
- Students agree to continue to fund the operations through the fall semester 2011; however, cost commitment shall not exceed fall 2010 expenditures.
- Fee structures for non-student members and/or groups will be adjusted to increase revenues generated for the operations of the Nat. See fee schedule below.
- All participants in swim groups, in addition to group rates for the usages, shall also be active members. Agreements shall be revised to reflect this change.
- Dues for non-student members will be due 9/15 and shall be in full for fall semester.
- University will make minor repairs to Nat during this period; however, no major repairs (exceeding $2,500) will be made until students have determined final plan. Any additional repairs will be paid by external group through member assessment.
- Students shall make their final decision by 12/1/11 and notify the university and community of their plan.
- Community group shall use fall semester to assist in increasing external memberships.
- Community group shall continue to seek commitments in writing for capital improvements during this period.
- Community group shall prepare a plan to manage and operate pool for members in the event students choose to pursue other arrangements. If this is the case, group should be prepared to assume full operating costs by 1/1/12.
- In the event students choose to pursue actions other than renovating the natatorium, and community is unable to assume operations, all agree students shall have the right to request natatorium closure and community members shall support that decision.
Also, the director has agreed to remain through fall semester; however, she does continue to plan her vacation which will be 3 weeks.
During that time, another manager will be sought; however, additional costs will be shared by students and community. If no existing staff is qualified, all understand that pool cannot be operated in absence of pool manager.
|Member Category||Monthly Fee|
|F/S/Spouse Individual||$ 25.00|
|F/S Spouses Family||$ 40.00|
|Individual /Spouses||$ 30.00|
|Alumni Family||$ 50.00|
|Individual & non-Active Alums||$ 35.00|