University of Louisiana at Monroe President James Cofer announced today that he concurs with the ULM Mascot Committee’s recommendation in response to the recent NCAA mascot ruling. President Cofer also announced that he is now charging the committee with the responsibility of planning and coordinating efforts to create a new athletic identity for ULM.
The Mascot Committee, chaired by Mr. George Luffey, will be expanded to continue its work.
The Committee’s responsibilities will also include:
1. Selecting an outside marketing consultant.
2. Coordinating the effort to seek mascot nominations from the community.
3. Developing a plan to institutionalize ULM’s new nickname, image, and mascot costume athletic identity.
The process for the mascot selection will be as follows:
• Accepting mascot nominations via the mascot web site. Suggestions will be accepted through Feb. 28, 2006.
• Narrowing the proposed names to 10 to 20 semi-finalists by March 15, 2006.
• Narrowing the semi-finalists to 3 or 4 finalists by April 1, 2006. The consulting firm will prepare symbols, logo concepts, and other graphic images for each of the finalists.
• Selecting, by June 1, 2006, in consort with Dr. Cofer and the rest of the ULM administration, ULM’s new mascot.
For more information about this issue, please visit: www.ulm.edu/mascot
For this story and other ULM news on-line visit ULM's News Web Site. While there, you can check out ULM's News Archive, or visit ULM's on-line calendar for all of ULM's upcoming events.