The Bry Art Gallery at the University of Louisiana at Monroe is currently showing the Thirteenth Annual High School Juried Art Competition. This competition was open to area junior and senior art students, and was jurored by a panel of ULM art faculty members plus area portrait painter and ULM art alumnus Adam Davenport.
Forty entries from thirty-one students representing eight high schools were chosen for the exhibition. These works will be on view until March 30. The Bry Art Gallery is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. until noon on Friday.
The jurors also selected a number of award winning pieces. Receiving the Gretchen Masur Dean Best of Show Award and cash prize was Caitlin Medley of Neville High School for a self-portrait titled "Myself, a Study in Blue.” The ULM Art Alumni Award and cash prize was presented to Caitlin Robinson of Neville High School for an oil on canvas painting figurative portrait titled "Leigh Ann." Awards of Merit and art supply prizes went to Meagan Chaudoin of Ouachita Parish High School, Jenny Mayfield of West Ouachita High School and Hunter Sharp of Ouachita Christian School. Students receiving Beverly Jean Marvin Art Supply Scholarships to ULM were Meagan Chaudoin of OPHS and Layne Cook and Hunter Sharp of OCS.
These awards were presented at a gala reception in the Bry Art Gallery on Friday, March 17. Patrons at the reception chose a charcoal drawing by Hunter Sharp of OCS to receive the People's Choice Art Supply Award, donated by Kappa Pi, an international honorary art fraternity at the university.
Other students with works accepted in this competition were:
- Kaci Brodnax, Alexis Greely, Nicole Henderson, Morgan Kester, Antonio Morrison, Jessica Paul, Rita Smith and Caroline Winnon of Bastrop High School;
- Lindsey Ferracci, Carrie Jones, Brittany Lord, Leah Parris, Ryan Rachal and Alyssa Young of Neville High School;
- Valerie King of Ouachita Parish High School;
- Will Merritt of Sterlington High School;
- Chelsea Davis of West Monroe High School;
- Casey Britton, Daniel Cole, Carl Leckie, Vincent McGaha, Sarah Nelson, Bryan Smith, Ryan Swillie and T.D. Tumey of West Ouachita High School.
Their collective art teachers are Vicki Bonsall, Sherrie Fulmer, Arden Kennedy, Karen Medley, Annice Miller, Michelle Olinde, Tony Parks, Brenda Rowan and Karen Sharp.
For this story and other ULM news on-line visit ULM's News Web Site. While there, you can check out ULM's News Archive, or visit ULM's on-line calendar for all of ULM's upcoming events.