November 1, 2012
From: Laura Clark
Director of Media Relations
ULM Warhawk Wakeboard team wins big in Shreveport
The University of Louisiana at Monroe Warhawk Wakeboard team won the USA Wakeboard South Central Regional and the Louisiana Collegiate Wake Tour Competition—both held in Shreveport Oct. 27-28.
Joel Barfield, a senior construction management major from West Monroe, competes in Shreveport.
Nick McDonald (B.S. ’11), the alumni advisor for the ULM Wakeboard team, said, “The competition was by far the hardest regional this year and was the biggest regional ever with 112 riders. Due to the size and difficulty of the regional, Warhawk Wake is expected to be either the number one or number two seed heading into the CBS Sports’ Alt Games National Championships in May of 2013.”
The Warhawk Wake team, a ULM recognized student organization, won the South Central Regional competition over past national champion, the University of Texas.
Texas Tech University, Louisiana State University, The University of Mississippi, Mississippi State University, Oklahoma State University, the University of Southern Mississippi, Louisiana Tech University, and Nicholls State University all competed.
Six of ULM’s team riders placed in the top three of their division with Trevor Duncan winning the Men's B Division.
The Warhawk Wakeboard team, now four years old, also won the LCWT in a dominating performance, with the University of Texas coming in 500 points behind ULM.
ULM Wakeboard Team Members:
- Team founder: Mandi Simmons of Shreveport; toxicology grad student
- President: Cody Townsend of West Monroe; junior ecology major
- Vice President: Hunter Martin of Vidalia; senior kinesiology major
- Coraine Al-Shaikhly of New Orleans; freshman biology major
- Joel Barfield of West Monroe; senior construction management major
- Josh Brasher of West Monroe; sophomore nursing major
- Trevor Duncan of Haughton; freshman kinesiology major
- Nick Fisher of West Monroe; senior nursing major
- Chase Fulco of Bossier City; senior kinesiology major
- Jason Hendrix of West Monroe; freshman finance major
- Caden Lawhon of Bastrop; junior nursing major
- Matt Little of Madison, Miss.; sophomore business major
- Kalynn Oswalt of Transylvania; senior occupational therapy major
- Justin Sonnier of Lafayette; senior kinesiology major
- Karly Smith of El Dorado, Ark.; freshman speech-language pathology major
- Danique Van Der Velden of Curacao; junior biology major
Photo courtesy of Robert Underwood of No Filter Photography