September 12, 2012
From: Laura Woodard Clark
Director of Media Relations
Shortened race doesn’t dampen spirits
Students who participated in the University of Louisiana at Monroe’s fifth annual Ace’s Amazing Race, Aug. 27-29, got more than they bargained for when the threat of Hurricane Isaac caused the event’s final two days to be cancelled, leaving only one winner for this year’s race.
The event is modeled after the CBS television show, “The Amazing Race,” and helps new students quickly adapt to life at ULM.
"The purpose of Ace's Amazing Race is to expose beginning freshman students to areas around campus, as well as build a sense of community and school spirit among them," said Kiley Wilson, academic advisor and coordinator of the race.
Each year several colleges, departments, and organizations donate money, and sponsor various giveaways including cups, T-shirts, key chains, pens, pencils, coupons, and food.
Athletics also participated by helping create challenges for the students. ULM received support from local businesses that donated items as door prizes at the end of the race.
The winning team was composed of 28 first-year students.
"I had a great time at the Ace's Amazing Race," said Joshua Chevallier of West Monro
“ I got to get to know my classmates a little better. I got to get a good amount of exercise, and I learned a little more about my school.”
Members of the winning team are:
- Kailyn Ardoin of Lake Charles
- Phillip Batiste of Keithville
- Justin Brumley of Crossett, Ark.
- Joshua Chevallier of West Monroe
- Lionel Clark of Marrero
- Mason Claverie of Denham Springs
- Jeremiah Cross of Leesville
- Joshua Dean of Dallas, Texas
- Paxton Hancock of Monroe
- Blake Harkness of Bastrop
- Jacob Harold of Monroe
- Melissa Heaton of Fremont, Calif.
- Brandon Johnson of Forest
- Jeremy Kline of Monroe
- Eddie Knippers of Denham Springs
- Stephen Kreller of Jefferson
- Ellen Lee of Winnsboro
- Zeb Montcalm of Monroe
- Billy Nance of Calhoun
- Kelley O'Dwyer of Sugar Land, Texas
- Chet Parks of Sterlington
- Robert Simmons of Rayville
- Brandyn Spikes of Angie
- Cody Sullen of Shreveport
- Kaylen Tannehill of West Monroe
- Trad Tullier of Prairieville
- Jeremy Washington of Shreveport
- Kyle Willard of West Monroe