ULM logo

Graduate School

Master of Education in Educational Leadership

Program Requirements Graduate School Application Deadline  Program Application Deadline Additional Program Application Required?
Minimum combined score of 284 (verbal + quantitative) on the GRE 

Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) 

Have at least three years teaching experience and hold a Louisiana Type B or Level 2 teaching certificate

For Spring 2017
apply by
December 5, 2016

For Spring 2017
apply by
December 5, 2016


Click to download program application


Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for entry? How do I know if I am eligible?
In addition to the admission requirements outlined above, applicants must provide a recommendation form from a minimum of three (3)individuals who know your relevant work and/or educational experience.  Recommendation forms must be submitted directly to the Educational Leadership Admissions Committee. Recommendation forms and details about where to submit them are included in the Educational Leadership Program Packet

When will I know if I've been accepted?
Complete applications will be considered for submission to the admission committee. Admission decisions are not available over the phone.  Applicants will be notified of admission decisions in writing.  If accepted, the notification will include the assignment of your major professor.

Am I required to hold teacher certification, and have teaching experience?
If you hold a Louisiana Type B or Level 2 teaching certificate, and have at least three years of teaching experience in your area of certification, then you may qualify for the Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Educational Leadership program. There are two options to obtain certification as an educational leader. If you want to earn a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership, you should apply as a degree-seeking student. If you already have a Master’s Degree, you should apply as a non-degree seeking student to earn an add-on certificate. All candidates for certification or degree in Educational Leadership are required  to earn a passing score (166 or higher) on the School Leader Licensure Assessment (SLLA).

For what certification will this program help me qualify?
Completion of the educational leadership program, along with other requirements of the state department, will qualify candidates to earn an Educational Leader Certificate Level 1 (EDL1). This is the certificate needed by candidates who wish to fill school and district educational leadership positions:

  • Assistant Principal
  • Principal
  • Parish or City Supervisor of Instruction
  • Supervisor of Child Welfare and Attendance
  • Special Education Supervisor

Next steps...

Ready to apply?
We recommend that you submit your application, transcripts, and test scores well in advance of published deadlines. For more information about the Graduate School admission process, as well as the online application, click here.

Graduate Catalog
The catalog outlines university policies, tuition and fees, extensive program and degree information. Click on the link below for catalog information specific to the program.

Educational Leadership, M.Ed.

Still have questions? 

Contact our Graduate Coordinator for more information:

Dr. Ava Pugh
School of Education
College of Arts, Education, and Sciences
Walker Hall 2-20