ULM Physical Plant
University Key Policy
To ensure that all university keys are accounted for and used
appropriately. To implement a tracking system for all university
keys. To ensure the safe access and security to all university buildings.
In order to obtain a key to a university building the following procedure will be followed:
1. Complete a key request form and have the form signed by the department head.
2. Submit the completed form to the physical plant.
3. The physical plant will then make the appropriate key. Once the key is made the physical plant will notify the employee requesting the key that it is ready. The employee will be required to come to the physical plant to receive their key.
4. Before the key is given to the employee, the employee will be required to identify themselves to physical plant personnel by presenting their university identification card. Once they have been positively identified, the employee will be required to sign the authorization statement on the bottom of the key request form. This authorization will acknowledge that the employee is responsible for the key and will be charged an appropriate fee if the key is lost or if it is not returned upon termination of their employment with the university. The key number and the employee name will be entered into a database in order to track university keys.
5. Upon termination of employment for any reason the employee will be required to turn in all assigned keys to the physical plant. Failure to turn in university keys will result in appropriate deductions from the employee's last paycheck. Upon return of the university keys the physical plant personnel will give the employee a receipt stating that the keys have been turned back in. The employee can then give a copy of this receipt to the human resource personnel to avoid being charged for the keys.
In the event a key is lost:
1. Report the situation to the physical plant immediately.
2. The physical plant may provide a copy of the lost key and will charge the employee an appropriate fee. If the physical plant determines that a copy of the key can be made then the employee will be required to follow the procedure above for requesting a new key.
3. For security sensitive areas it may be necessary to change the locks when a key is lost. If deemed necessary the employee will be charged an appropriate fee for this service. The decision to replace the key with a copy or change locks will be determined by the physical plant. If this is necessary all employees who have been issued this key will be issued a new key matching the new lock. These employees will have to come to the physical plant to receive their new keys.
If a key is damaged and no longer works:
1. Notify the physical plant by using the key request form.
2. Submit the damaged key with the key request form to the physical plant.
3. The process for getting a new key will be the same as listed above.
$20.00 per key
Other costs may be charged by the physical plant if it becomes
necessary to change locks or any lock hardware. These charges will be
made at the discretion of the physical plant.
Any questions on the key policy or key request form should be directed to the physical plant. You can contact the physical plant at 342-5170.
The University of Louisiana at Monroe
700 University Avenue
Monroe, LA 71209-2800
(318) 342-5219 (fax)